From Michael Phelps winning eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics to Nadia Comăneci receiving the first perfect 10 in 1976, there have been several unforgettable moments in Olympic history.
As hundreds of world-class athletes prepare to compete in the 2012 Summer Olympic Games beginning July 27, Patch is celebrating the start of the games by posting Olympic trivia questions all this week.
Post your answers in the comments below, and check back Tuesday evening to see if you're correct! We'll post the answers after 5 p.m.
1. Which famous literary and film character has been played by no less than four Olympians on screen?
- King Kong
- James Bond
2. Which of these is no longer an Olympic event?
- Discus throwing
- Triple Jump
3. In 1904, American George Eyser won three golds, two silvers and a bronze in gymnastics. Besides the number of medals he took home, what was remarkable about his achievement?
- He had a glass eye
- He had a wooden leg
- He was blind
- He was deaf
4. How many perfect 10s was Nadia Comaneci awarded during the 1976 Olympics?
5. Which team leads all other teams in the Opening Ceremony procession?
- Team USA
- Great Britain
- the Greek team
- the host country
6. The Games were not held in which of the following years?
7. How did the Olympic flame arrive in England for the 2012 Games?
- Underground tunnel
8. What contest of team strength was an official Olympic event from 1900 to 1920?
- Tug of War
Looking for a way to celebrate the Olympics locally? You can find local events for Olympic Fun Day on July 28 on the Let’s Move website, which has a page about how to set up your own local Olympics.