Students from 18 area high schools—including Palos Verdes and Palos Verdes Peninsula high schools—will compete Saturday in a regional ocean sciences competition, the Los Angeles "Surf Bowl" at Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
JPL and USC’s Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies will co-host the academic competition. The event uses a game-show format and includes multiple-choice and short-answers questions on five main disciplines: biology, physics, chemistry, geology and math. Each team has four students, one alternate and a coach.
The winning team from this event will compete against 24 other regional champions at the National Ocean Sciences Bowl in Milwaukee, Wis., on April 18 to 21. Approximately 2,000 students from more than 300 high schools nationwide participate in this academic competition.
The theme for this year’s competition is “The Great Lakes: A Window Into Freshwater Science.”
The purpose of the competition is to foster the next generation of marine scientists, researchers and environmental advocates, according to a press release from JPL. The National Ocean Sciences Bowl is a program of the nonprofit Consortium for Oceanographic Research and Education, based in Washington, D.C.
The competition starts at 7:30 a.m. and runs to 6 p.m. Final matches begin at about 4:45 p.m. The awards presentation begins around 5:45 p.m.
JPL is located at 4800 Oak Grove Drive in La Cañada.
Participating Students Attend the Following Schools:
- Arcadia High School, Arcadia
- Channel Islands High School, Oxnard
- Crescenta Valley High School, La Crescenta
- Francisco Bravo Medical Magnet High School, Los Angeles
- Herbert Hoover High School, Glendale
- Huntington Beach High School, Huntington Beach
- La Canada High School, La Cañada
- Mark Keppel High School, Alhambra
- North Hollywood High School, North Hollywood
- Palos Verdes High School, Palos Verdes Estates
- Palos Verdes Peninsula High School, Rolling Hills Estates
- Pasadena High School, Pasadena
- San Dimas High School, San Dimas
- Santa Monica High School, Santa Monica
- Temple City High School, Temple City
- University High School, Irvine
- West Covina High School, West Covina
- Woodbridge High School, Irvine