UPDATE: Flames Shot 40 Feet From Citrus Heights Duplex

The fire was reported shortly before 2 a.m. on Peoria Drive, according to a captain with the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District.

This article was updated at 8:15 p.m. Jan. 5, 2013 to include details about the fire and the address.

A fire early Saturday broke out in a faulty chimney and burned into an attic at a Citrus Heights duplex, a fire captain told Patch but no injuries were reported.

The fire was reported shortly before 2 a.m. at 6058 Peoria Drive, according to Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District Capt. Kim Fong.

According to a resident, she awoke to a crackling noise she could hear become louder while walking down the hallway.

According to Metro Fire Captain Mike Lozano, firefighters arrived to find 30-foot to 40-foot flames shooting out of the unit.

It was quickly knocked down but not before the blaze caused about $70,000 damage and displaced the residents, Fong said.

"A coordinated effort of the twenty-four firefighters on scene quickly extinguished the fire and saved the other half of the structure," Fong said. 

This fireplace had been left unbanked, the captain said.

"Metro Fire would like to remind you to be sure your fireplace fire is out before you go to bed.

"Also, never close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace. A closed damper will help the fire to heat up again and will force toxic carbon monoxide into the house.  

There was very little smoke damage to the adjacent unit and no fire or water damage, Fong added.

Fire officials this winter have become increasingly concerned that residents seeking to keep a lid on heating bills have been turning to their fireplaces for warmth.

"Residents oftentimes are unaware that they (fireplaces) need annual inspection and cleaning," Fong told Patch.

A second chimney blaze occurred in unincorporated Sacramento County about 11:45 a.m., Fong told Patch.

The second fire was reported on Flagstaff Drive, in Sloughhouse, according to Fong.

In this case, the fire was contained to the chimney and to a small circle of attic space surrounding the chimney, Fong told Patch.

The residents in that fire were not injured, he added.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »