We all use our imagination, whether consciously or unconsciously. We use our imagination whenever we plan a home improvement project, a vacation or a project at work. Have you noticed how you use your imagination when you describe an event, give directions, write or cook? Everything that has been achieved has been brought into existence is the result of the human imagination.
Imagination is much more than simple daydreaming; in fact, it can be of great value in our lives. A developed imagination does not make you a daydreamer or procrastinator. A strong imagination strengthens your creative abilities, and is a great tool for recreating the circumstances and events you would like to see in your life.
Imagination is a creative power that is necessary for inventing and designing a dress or a building. When I was at in Redondo Beach, I realized how powerful the imagination could be for many artists. An author myself, I know the imagination provides an infinite source for imaginative thoughts when writing a book. The creative power of imagination can be an important part in the achievement of success in any field. What we imagine with trust, faith and feelings comes into being.
Imagination can help us acquire knowledge through the mental formation of concepts, images and sensations. It can help us with creativity and can be a tool to serve as a response to our personal intentions. Use creative thinking to help you decide how to put together the pieces of a project. This can be especially helpful during business meetings.
On the other hand, imagination can serve as a means of escape, transporting ourselves into a special realm where we might feel very comfortable and relaxed. Children use their imagination like this when they play dress up, portray characters and mimic various scenes that they have read in fairy tales or have seen on television.
Everyone has the potential to develop a powerful, creative imagination. For some of us, it may be highly developed, and in others, it may manifest in a weaker form. Here are some tips to put into practice and grow your imagination:
- It might be easier for some of us to see mental pictures; however, Imagination does not need to be limited to just seeing pictures in the mind. You can include all the five senses. Try to imagine a sound, taste, smell, a physical sensation, a feeling or an emotion. Training your imagination gives the ability to combine all the senses. This can be very enlightening.
- Start thinking about writing a story or music. Keep your mind open for opportunities—new angles, plots, characters or melodies and take notes to expand the story/song over a period of time. Refine the story if you want to. When you allow yourself to take your time, new ideas will pop out of your subconscious as you think about it. Remember, this is your creation; you can do anything you want with it.
- Look deep into any problem you face and imagine different solutions. Try new paths—don’t accept the status quo. If you fail at one task try another approach.
- Don’t brush aside inspirational thoughts and ideas that pop into your mind. Try visualizing these ideas and plan how you will bring them into existence. Let your mind go—the sky is the limit. Always carry a small notebook or write a note into your iPhone when you have these creative, inspirational random thoughts.
- Be curious about everything—the world is full of amazing wonders for you to learn about. Enjoy the scenery. I find that sometimes a nice run, walk or even a drive along Paseo del Mar in Palos Verdes helps me to relax, enjoy the view and opens my mind to creative solutions and new ideas. These wonders will become your source for memories and ideas that you can use when needed. Keep developing your natural interests and unique talents. Learn as much as you can about these personal interests and improvise.
- Build upon and refine the ideas of other people. Always be on the lookout for new innovations that you can improve upon. When a new product or device is invented, consider how it might be improved. Technology becomes more user-friendly, faster and effective. This goes for any product—there is always room for improvement. Even if you’re idea seems like a crazy solution, write it down anyway. It may turn out to be a good idea.
Imagination makes it possible to experience a whole world inside the mind. You can use your imagination to look at any situation from a different point of view, even the past and the future. With your imagination, you can travel anywhere without any obstacles. It can make you feel free from difficulties and unpleasant circumstances. Understanding how to use your imagination effectively and putting this knowledge into practice can help you reach success, fulfillment and happiness.